These are the Top 5 singles debuting on the UK charts for the week ending September 15. The #1 song in the UK was Donny Osmond's "Young Love".
1. Rod Stewart "Oh No Not My Baby" (UK#22). A self produced single of the 1964 Goffin-King classic climed all the way to #5 in the UK and #59 in the US.
2. The Jackson 5 "Skywriter" ( UK#38) The funky third single from Skywriter would peak at #25 in the UKbut failed to chart at all in the US
3. Manfred Mann's Earth Band : Joybringer (UK#39) A non-album single from busy Manfred Mann's Earth Band who also released two albums in 1973, Messin' ( Get Your Rocks Off was the US title) and Solar Flare. "Joybringer" would peak in the UK at #9.
4. Mott the Hoople "All the Way from Memphis" (UK#40) The sad story of a lost guitar would peak at #10 in the UK for Mott the Hoople. From the album Mott, one of 1973's best.
5. Status Quo: Caroline (UK#44) From the album Hello, this was a Top 5 hit for Status Quo. It started a golden streak for the band in the UK that lasted the rest of the decade. The US ignored the band the entire time.
Further down the chart: two notable tunes:
#46 Elton John: Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
#47 Wings: Live and Let Die