Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Memories of The Natural 92



   I just spent the evening making a Christmas CD for my sister who grew up with me in Guilford, CT where our Dad's favorite radio station in the late 70's was WWYZ-FM ("YZ the Natural 92") out of Waterbury. The format was mellow rock. Sure, there was some of that easy listening crap but, more often, deep mellow cuts from rock albums. And tracks from albums other radios stations weren't touching. 

     Apparently Program Director Bob Craig picked songs that would hit "The Three L's": life, love and loneliness. I just know they provided one of the key soundtracks to my childhood. 

The format didn't last more than a few years. WWYZ-FM is now a Clear Channel Hot Country station. And so it goes...

Here are the CD tracks based on my memories of 'YZ playlist.


1. Michael Franks "Popsicle Toes"
2. Fleetwood Mac "Never Going Back Again"
3. Van Morrison "Moondance"
5. Mark-Almond "One Way Sunday"



6. Dobie Gray "Drift Away"
7. Joni Mitchell "In France They Kiss On Main Street"
8. Stephen Bishop "On and On"
9. Judee Sill "The Kiss" 



10. John Denver "Sunshine on My Shoulders"
11. Cat Stevens "Wild World"
12. Todd Rundgren " Hello It's Me"
13. Nick Drake "Thoughts of Mary Jane"
14. Elton John "Come Down in Time"


15. Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway "Where is the Love"
16. Tim Hardin "Misty Roses"
17. Maria Muldaur "Midnight at the Oasis"
18. George Harrison "Dark Sweet Lady"


19. Eagles " Best of My Love"
20. Judy Collins "Who Knows Where the Time Goes"
21. CSN " Just a Song Before I Go"

    

2 comments:

  1. I worked at WDRC in Hartford during this period and LOVED the ‘Natural 92’. A few years back a former air talent sent me about a half dozen cd’s from that period. It was always my first choice in home or in the car. To this day I’ve never heard a station like it. They always had a split second of dead air between elements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just last night, former members of that station celebrated its 45th anniversary. Plenty of memories ans staories were shared - it was a wonderful experience to see everyone again. As that "former AT" who produced those CDs, above represents an accurate playlist, although for reasons still unknown, we never played "Moondance."

    ReplyDelete