Monday, April 11, 2016

40 Year Itch : Something Slick Downtown


Johnny "Guitar" Watson : Ain't That a Bitch


  41 year old bluesman Johnny "Guitar" Watson had been recording since the early 50's when this 1976 album won him a Grammy nomination as Best New Vocalist. Recorded a year after Watson played on Frank Zappa's One Size Fits AllAin't That a Bitch isn't so much a blues album as a funky R and B showcase of Watson's wit and capabilities as a producer.

  "Man when I recorded that album I had a serious ego problem," Watson would tell Mojo Magazine. "I felt like I could do anything --and somehow it all worked, it was the strangest thing. I did all the horns on studio time, said to the musicians, bring your manuscript and your horn and play what you want when you get there!".

   The album would go gold and later provide samples for Snoop Doggy Dogg , Dr Dre and many others.






1 comment: