Thursday, October 6, 2016

40 Year Itch : I Guess I'm Just Dumb


Lou Reed : Rock and Roll Heart


One of 1976's most disappointing albums has to be Lou Reed's first recording for Clive Davis's Arista Records. And wouldn't you know the critics pounced. Nick Kent of New Musical Express wrote "Certainly don't bother with this record unless, that is, you're the kind of person that gets off on watching paint dry. Come to think of it, Rock and Roll Heart would make the perfect background music for that."


Reed said he had a great tune making the record, on which he played an electric guitar for the first time since the Velvet Underground broke up: "On other albums I let other people do what they liked; this time I got serious and played what I liked. Every track. There's lots of dumb rock-and-roll songs on it, but then I like dumb rock and roll. It's very hard to find a dumb guitar player and a dumb piano player, everyone's so much into being technically together. But I fit the bill because I play very stupid."

No comments:

Post a Comment