Wednesday, October 5, 2016

40 Year Itch : The Truth of My Youth


Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel : (I Believe) Love's a Prima Donna


In October of 1976, Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel released their final album, Love's a Prima Donna, recorded at Abbey Road Studios. The first single was a humdrum cover of George Harrison's "Here Comes the Sun" which actually hit UK#10. 

The title cut is far more interesting, and to these ears,  a surefire hit. It has the feel of the band's biggest hit, "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" It even has parentheses--always a good thing when Steve Harley's writing a song. Although it became a fan favorite "( I Believe) Love's a Prima Donna" was no hit, stalling at UK#41. The album gets very good in places ( "Too Much Tenderness") and very weird in places, especially on the 7 minute "Innocence and Guilt".

 I want to spend more time with this album, but then I've been a big fan for three whole years now!



No comments:

Post a Comment