Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Hard Again


Muddy Waters : I Can't Be Satisfied

[Purchase]

"(Hard Again) definitely changed my life, because for as long as I can remember listening to it, it's been my favorite album and it's made me want to play the blues. It inspires me every time I listen to it. It makes me want to run and pick up a guitar and start playing."
- Kenny Wayne Shepherd



What exactly does a 71 year old blues legend have left in the tank? Well, a lot of people think Hard Again , released on January 10, 1977,  is the best album Muddy Waters ever recorded. He made Hard Again with the help of his touring band (pianist Pinetop Perkins, guitarist Bob Margolin, bassist Charles Calmese and drummer Willie Smith), harmonicist James Cotton and producer/ guitarist and Blue Sky label owner, Johnny Winter.



The album has a live feel. There must have been a great spirit in the room. At times, it sounds like too many people are playing at the same time which is why I prefer this version of "I Can't Be Satisfied", performed with dobros and resonator guitars.









No comments:

Post a Comment