Sunday, July 30, 2017

Sad For The Rest


Carly Simon : Nobody Does It Better


On July 30, 1977 Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better" began its second week in the U.S. charts where it would peak at #2, held off from the top spot by Debby Boone's "You Light Up My Life".
It was an all star production for title track of the 1977 James Bond film "The Spy Who Loved Me" with music by Oscar winner Marvin Hamlisch, "lust-drunk" lyrics by Carole Bayer Sager and production by Richard Perry.


I am introducing my 12 year old son to James Bond movies. We started with "Goldfinger". Maybe this should not have been the second film despite the great opening sequence and the human can opener, "Jaws". It's just a bit silly in places.

A better story is that,  when asked to provide his annual personal evaluation, one of my work colleagues thought about sending this song to our manager. No additional comments needed.

I suggested that our female boss might wonder what he's trying to say with awkward lyrics like :

The way that you hold me 
Whenever you hold me 
There's some kind of magic inside you 
That keeps me from runnin' 
But just keep it comin' 
How'd you learn to do the things you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment