Saturday, February 2, 2019

Sid Vicious Dies


Sex Pistols :  Something  Else



On the morning of February 2, 1979, Sex Pistol Sid Vicious was found dead in his bedroom, following a party the night before celebrating his making bail. He was charged with murdering his girlfriend Nancy Spungen four month earlier and was awaiting trial. 

 At Rikers Island, Sid spent seven weeks in a detox program. He was clean, his body not prepared to handle that night's injection of 80% pure heroin. At midnight, shorty after taking a dose, Vicious collapsed and went into a seizure. His skin and his lips turned blue. Partygoers covered him up with blankets and 40 minutes later Vicious came to. He even walked around the party which ended at 3 AM.



His mother, Anne Beverley slept on the couch while Vicious went to bed with his girlfriend, an actress named Michelle Robinson. The next morning Beverley, around 11 AM, Beverley tried to wake her son and discovered him dead. The doctor who performed the autopsy said Vicious "died much like a drowning person. There was an accumulation of fluid in the lungs characteristic of heroin".


His mother, a former addict, told the Daily Express she was holding on to her son's heroin supply and that she believed he took a second dose to fulfill his role in a suicide pact with Nancy.  She claimed to have found a note in his leather jacket that read:

We had a death pact, and I have to keep my half of the bargain. Please bury me next to my baby. Bury me in my leather jacket, jeans and motorcycle boots. Goodbye.





 Sex Pistol bandmate John Lydon always believed drug dealers framed Vicious for the murder of Nancy. He wrote, in his memoir Anger is an Energy :

Sid's passing was a pain in my life--a serious one. I wrote songs about him for quite some time after that. They're all in there somewhere...I always felt like I was protecting Sid, always. Wherever I'd take him, I knew-arrgh!-he's gonna cause a problem. But that's alright!
   Once he stepped out of line, and was left to his own devices, oh my God, it became stupid, stupid, stupid, no value, principle, system or logicality in it. Don't mess around with drug dealers, right? They mean it. They have to. Just say no. 

No comments:

Post a Comment