Friday, May 24, 2019

Turnin' Music into Gold


John Stewart : Gold


I did "Gold" for the money and it just was vapid.
-John Stewart

On May 24 1979 legendary folk singer John Stewart was watching in amazement as his new single "Gold" raced up the American charts where it would peak at #5, thanks in part to backing vocals from Stevie Nicks. In his later years, Stewart would stop playing his biggest hit even though he had written it. 

"I just don't do it anymore," he said in 2008, "because it means nothing to me. I did what the record company (RSO Records) wanted me to do and it happened to work...I had an article in People Magazine and I was doing interviews all over the place and I just sat and cried for two days. It was so empty.

"What a great lesson I learned there: Do what I believe in. Don't go for the money".



Stewart's legacy goes back to the 1960's. As a member of the Kingston Trio, he recorded a dozen albums and scored a U.S. #21 hit with "Where Have All the Flowers Gone." Just before the trio split up, Stewart wrote "Daydream Believer", a #1 hit for The Monkees. 


In 1968, Stewart met folksinger Buffy Ford, who is one of my aunt's very best friends. They sang together to warm up the crowds at some of  Robert F Kennedy's campaign stops. 


They recorded California Bloodlines together in 1969, an album I grew up that is highlighted by "July, You're A Woman", one of the first of many love songs Stewart wrote for Buffy. Even by California standards, they were among the most photogenic couples of their time. Here's a link to some photos of John and Buffy by the great rock photographer Henry Diltz. .


Stewart died of a stroke in January of 2008, leaving behind a musical legacy that requires further listening. He is one of the inventors of Americana. Begin with California Bloodlines. If you think you've heard "Never Goin' Back" before, you may be a Lovin Spoonful fan. Then check out 1971's The Lonesome Picker Rides Again for Stewart's take on "Daydream Believer". 1982's Blondes features "The Queen of Hollywood High".



No comments:

Post a Comment