Saturday, June 13, 2020

1980's goofiest song is released by Albany bozos Blotto


Blotto : I Wanna Be A Lifeguard


In June of 1980 the Dr Demento Show, WNEW-FM and college radio stations all across the land began playing "I Wanna Be A Lifeguard", a song by the goofy Albany NY band Blotto, who released the EP Hello My Name Is Blotto on their own label. The song is about a guy who's sick of selling shoes at the local mall. His dream is to "Wear hardly any clothes/Have sand between my toes/White stuff on my nose!" and to meet "Summer blondes, revealing tan lines/I make more moves than Allied van lines". The music video , shot by SUNY Albany students, was played in the first day MTV began broadcasting. God help us, we were still getting regular requests for this song on WTUL-FM in 1983.




1 comment:

  1. It was "My Baby's the Star of a Driver's Ed Movie" that I used to listen to.

    ReplyDelete