Tuesday, July 7, 2020

We're Fired Up! We Won't Take No More!


Brother D With Collective Effort : How We Gonna Make The Black Nation Rise?

[Purchase]

In 1980 Brother D, a school teacher in the South Bronx, recorded what is likely the first political rap song.  "How We Gonna Make The Black Nation Rise?" is set to the musical track of "Got To Be Real" by Cheryl Lynn. Brother D is Daryl Aamaa Nubyahn, a member of the New York Family of Black Science, a revolutionary organization “dedicated to the uplifting of black people and to the acquiring of knowledge and skills.”. He tells the story of the song to Steven Hagar in his book Hip-Hop: The Illustrated History Of Break Dancing, Rap Music, and Graffiti

“I noticed kids around my block doing rap, but there was no message. I was teaching math in a vocational training program and I started running some raps for the kids in my class. I made deals with them like, you do a certain amount of work and I’ll rap for you at the end of the period. And they loved that. There was a strong desire in rap records for people to soup themselves up. Big fantasies-folks in their teens talking about my big car, I’m a movie star, I’ve got all the women in the world. People are very materially centered. Something flashes on TV and they have to go out and get it. With the idea of hooking rap up with political information and the practice I got rapping for my students, I began to write.”


Some of the lyrics could have been written in 2020:

Come on My people, people, people, can’t you see 
What’s really goin' on? 
Unemployment’s high, the housing’s bad 
And the schools are teaching wrong 
Cancer from the water, pollution in the air 
But you’re partying hard, like you just don’t care 
 Wake up y'all, you know that ain’t right 
 Cause that hurts everybody, black or white 
 Winter’s cold, can’t get no heat 
Just move your body to the beat 
While it takes you on a disco ride 
Get high until you’re pacified 
Our youth actin' like the living dead 
Ain’t talkin' bout the body. 
Talkin' bout the head... 
 Rising up! won't take no more! 
Rising up! won't take no more! 
 America was built, understand 
By stolen labor on stolen land 
Take a second thought, as you clap and stamp 
Can you rock the house from inside the camp? 
As you’re moving to the beat 'til the early light 
This country’s moving too, moving to the right 
Prepare now, or get high and wait 
Cause it ain’t no party in a police state 
 Blessed are we who dare to be free 
We gotta change the way we behave 
You gotta sacrifice for our righteous cause 
Or remain a passive slave 
 We’re not anti- any other racial group 
Just understand we’re pro-Black 
 And we’re against any one or thing 
That tries to hold us back

1 comment:

  1. This is 40 years ago, and the lyrics are still as true today. Reminds me that James Baldwin quote about how much time is needed for progress.

    ReplyDelete