Sunday, September 22, 2019

A Sure-Fire Smash



Joe Jackson : I'm The Man


On September 25, 1979 Joe Jackson released "I'm The Man", the new single from his forthcoming album with the same name. In the same vein of  Look Sharp!'s "Got The Time" , "One More Time" and "Throw It Away", it's an upbeat rocker that shows Jackson wasn't ready yet to veer too far off the formula that made his debut a Top 40 album in the U.K. and Top 20 in the United States. The single failed to chart anywhere but in Canada. The follow-up single, "It's Different For Girls", would do much better.

Best of all is the cover photo with Jackson dressed as a shiv, a character Jackson says "always wears a gross polka-dot tie and a pencil-thin mustache, and he's always trying to sell you a watch or something like that real cheap. I think people always want to put a label on what you do, so I thought I'd be one step ahead of them and invent one myself - spiv rock." 


No comments:

Post a Comment