Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Duran Duran Meets Planet Earth


Duran Duran : Planet Earth

[Purchase]

On February 2, 1981 Birmingham's Duran Duran released their debut single, the UK#12 "Planet Earth".


"I call it funky punk. I was really a punk rocker," John Taylor told Complex in 2012 about the song. "Then I discovered disco. When I discovered disco, I didn't want to be a guitar player in a punk band. I wanted to be a postman in a funk band. But I was a punk and I never was going to be able to play like Chic. So 'Planet Earth' for me, as a bass player, was an expression of sort of my punky aspiration to be danceable to have that disco thing going on."






Guitarist Andy Taylor says there are some similarities with Rod Stewart's 1979 disco hit "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?":

"The synth-guitar hook line that kicks off the tune is played on the same scale and key; the first two chords Dm7 and F are the same, so the melody/counter-melody lines are interchangeable," Taylor says.

More hits would follow but this is the sing that introduced Duran Duran to Planet Earth. On March 15, the band performed on Top of The Pops. The band would become an MTV staple.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment