Thursday, April 20, 2017

Stand Tall Annie



Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane : Annie


On April 20, 1977 Woody Allen released one of my favorite movies of all time. With all the serious Allen films that followed, we forget the oscar winning Annie Hall was his first foray into something more than absurd humor. Allen said he "had the courage to abandon ... just clowning around and the safety of complete broad comedy. I said to myself, 'I think I will try and make some deeper film and not be as funny in the same way. And maybe there will be other values that will emerge, that will be interesting or nourishing for the audience.'" 

The film also marks the acting debut of Paul Simon, still smarting from the way his former partner had become a sex symbol after starring in Catch-22 and Carnal Knowledge. Simon plays record producer Tony Lacey, who wears a silver coke spoon around his neck. 


No comments:

Post a Comment