Sunday, January 27, 2019

Like Thunder, Lightning


Amii Stewart : Knock On Wood


On January 27, 1979 Amii Stewart's disco version of Eddie Floyd's 1966 hit, "Knock On Wood", entered the Billboard Hot 100 at US #85. By April it replaced The Doobie Brothers' "What A Fool Believes" as the number one song in the land. Raised in Washington DC, Stewart had the singing and dancing chops to star in the Broadway production of Bubbling Brown Sugar which brought her to London and face to face with producer Barry Leng. He produced the futuristic disco version of the old Stax single and got her signed to a German label. This is first rate disco cheese, made all the better by Stewart's headgear.


"Knock on Wood" might have been very good to Stewart but she wasn't really a fan of disco. She told the author of Billboard Book of Number Ones "I've never bought a disco record in my life and I don't want to buy one. When I go home and close the door I don't want mu brains to be blown out. I go home and listen to Donald Fagen, Nik Kershaw and Phil Collins."

No comments:

Post a Comment