Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Joan Armatrading Picks Her All-Time Top Ten Songs (1981)





As told to Smash Hits Magazine in the October 15-28, 1981 issue via Like Punk Never Happened

1. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles - Tears of A Clown This must be one of the best songs written!
2. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven One of my favourite bands. This track is just one of their classics
3. Adam and the Ants - Antmusic This is what I call Good fun music
4. Van Morrison - Madame George Anything by Van is good but this one is special as it's the very first thing I heard from him
5. Tubeway Army - Are "Friends" Electric It's very original.
6. John Martyn - May You Never This one's great!
7. Ike and Tina Turner - River Deep, Mountain High Another classic, this song will never grow old
8. Walker Brothers - No Regrets Written by Tom Rush and superbly sing by Scott Walker, this reminds me of my first US tour when I met Tom.
9. Frank Zappa - Sulphur No 1* This is genius ( It's OK to say that, isn't it?)
10. Tony Hancock Anything by this great comedian is brilliant!

*A reader points out the real name of the song is "Sofa No 1". Some insight, perhaps, on Joan's accent?

2 comments:

  1. Far be it for me to be pedantic, but I think the Zappa song should be titled "Sofa #1"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction. That's how it was written in the magazine.

    ReplyDelete