Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Packing Up, Shacking Up


Fleetwood Mac : Go Your Own Way

[Purchase]

On December 20, 1976, five days before Christmas, Fleetwood Mac released "Go Your Own Way", our first taste of one of the biggest selling albums of all times, Rumours. Like many songs on the album, which was originally titled Yesterday's Gone, "Go Your Own Way" is inspired by the band's messy personal relations. Every song on the album is about at least one member of the band.

"Go Your Own Way" is Lindsey Buckingham's kiss-off to Stevie Nicks, with the line "Tell me why /Everything turned around /Packing up /Shacking up is all you want to do" especially stinging. 

Nicks told Rolling Stone "I very much resented him telling the world that 'packing up, shacking up' with different men was all I wanted to do. He knew it wasn't true. It was just an angry thing that he said. Every time those words would come onstage, I wanted to go over and kill him. He knew it, so he really pushed my buttons through that. It was like, 'I'll make you suffer for leaving me.' And I did."



You could imagine The Rolling Stones playing this tune, with its tumbling drums and extended guitar solo at the end. The biggest rocker on one of the 70's biggest rock albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment