Sunday, May 26, 2019

The Kiss Disco Song


KISS : I Was Made For Lovin' You


On May 26, 1979 the new Kiss single "I Was Made For Lovin' You" entered the Billboard Hot 100 chart at U.S.#70. The song would peak at #11 in the United States and top the charts in Canada and New Zealand.

What few people knew is that Paul Stanley was a closet disco freak. He would visit Studio 54. Even though he though the whole scene was a "den of iniquity", as he'd describe it in his memoir Face the Music - A Life Exposed, Stanley would dance all night. He thought the scene was all about living in the moment and he was especially taken by the repetitive drum beats.

I had heard all these 126-beats-per-minute songs and listened to the lyrics and thought Gee, I could do that. I went home and set a drum machine to 126 BPM and sat down and started "I Was Made For Lovin' You".


Among die hard KISS fans, it is known as the disco song, but Stanley makes no apologies.

Was it calculated? Yeah. Was it calculated to succeed? Yes, ultimately it was. But was that a bad thing? It started as a challenge to myself to see whether I could write in that style instead of meat-and-potatoes rock and roll. It was no different from the challenge I gave myself with "Hard Luck Woman". The only difference was the style. No apologies for a hit that people worldwide still want to hear and sing along to.

No comments:

Post a Comment