Monday, December 16, 2019

Paul Weller's All Time Top Ten


The Jam : Burning Sky


While promoting Setting Sons, The Jam's Paul Weller took a moment to provide his all time Top 10 song list to a December 1979 edition of Smash Hits



Among the bands featured is The Nips, the first band of future Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan


Fellow Mod revivalists Purple Hearts get a nod. They hit the scene just a bit to be as big as they deserved.


Gang of Four's "Waiting For My Elevator" is performed below with members of the Mekons. I don't believe they ever recorded the song. Let me know if I'm wrong.


Anticipating the Stray Cats, Whirlwind's "Boppin' High School Baby" was actually released in 1977.


I still think "Transmission" might be the best song of 1979 though Weller didn't consult me. Almost never does. 


2 comments:

  1. Is it though? Is it really his All Time Top 10. Looks (suspiciously) like his Best of 1979.
    No mention of the record that changed his life - My Generation (heard on his sisters K-Tel compilation), anything from The Kinks (I'm sure by 1979 he'd declared Ray Davies as his favourite songwriter).
    And nothing from The Beatles - not that he admitted his Beatle-love until the Jam split.
    Sometime in the 2000s (as part of a HMV promotion) he stated that his All Time Top Toon was Strawberry Fields Forever.

    But .. good to see The Purple Hearts so high (now, sadly, almost forgotten)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re right. I think there was some miscommunication on this assignment . Bet he’d have named a Small faces tune as well as some Motown.

      Delete