Tuesday, March 24, 2020

This U2 band might have a chance


U2 : Out of Control


In March of 1980 NME featured U2 in an article with the headline "U2 Can Make It In The Rock Business".  Paul Morley calls the band "naively passionate', writing :

 "Now that The Boomtown Rats have disclaimed the tiny island and been disclaimed, Bono's U2 are indisputably Ireland's finest; recent winners of  a host of Hot Press awards; recent chart toppers with "Out of Control"...

"Bono and the group are warily preparing to leap from Irish success--a literally poor type of success; sales of 20,000 merits a Gold disc in Ireland and entertainers like the Pope win those--into British obscurity, and wondering how to grab attention, scythe through the settling collection of old values, scatter the old tribal narrow-mindedness

"Even over here," tuts Bono, "we get people coming up to us and saying 'Well, I like you ...but I don't really like you because I'm a mod and you're not!"

Even in Ireland.


 "I'm not fully in control of my own performances," Bono confesses. "I'm not sure which way it's going to go when I hit the stage. It could go any way. There have been times when I have been really frightened and could hardly sing. I hardly looked up. Like when I can't get anything out of the hall, the audience, I turn into myself, close my eyes and try to find something there."

No comments:

Post a Comment