Monday, October 14, 2019

Ready Freddie


Queen : Crazy Little Thing Called Love


On October 14, 1979 Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" debuted on the U.K charts at #33. The single, anticipating the return of rockabilly and even the stardom of the Stray Cats, would peak at U.K. #2, but top the U.S. charts for four weeks beginning February 23.

In 1981 Freddie Mercury told Melody Maker he thought of the song in a bubble bath and wrote it quickly:

'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' took me five or ten minutes. I did that on the guitar, which I can't play for nuts, and in one way it was quite a good thing because I was restricted, knowing only a few chords. It's a good discipline because I simply had to write within a small framework. I couldn't work through too many chords and because of that restriction I wrote a good song, I think.




The song, a tribute to Elvis Presley,  appears on The Game, released nine months later.

No comments:

Post a Comment