Saturday, November 14, 2015

40 Year Itch : Old True Love



Neil Young : Don't Cry No Tears


   During the hard partying sessions that produced Zuma, Neil Young brought Crazy Horse a reworked tune from his high school days with the Canadian surf-rock band The Squires. A decade earlier, the song was called "I Wonder". The song just got pulled from YouTube so here's a contemporary cut from The Squires. 


    By 1975 Neil had truly lived, loved and lost. Having recently broken up with actress Carrie Snodgress, Young's album opener "Don't Cry No Tears", to these ears, sounds like a message to himself to toughen up :

I wonder who's holding her tight? 
But there's nothing I can say
To make him go away
Old true love ain't too hard to see
Don't cry no tears around me.
    

   Zuma is one of my favorite Neil Young albums. I don't need a focused album when the spirit in the room rocks out like this! One of 1975's best.

Ralph Molina, Billy Talbot, newcomer Frank "Poncho" Sampedro and Neil Young on Malibu Beach in 1975
   

No comments:

Post a Comment