Friday, August 19, 2016

40 Year Itch : Glue Sniff Death Shocker



The Ramones : Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue



On August 19, 1976, under the banner headline "Glue Sniff Death Shocker", The Glasgow Evening Times reported on the efforts by Jack Dempsey, MP for Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, to get the first Ramones album banned in the UK following a series of deaths related to glue-sniffing. Among the songs on the debut is "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue"featuring the lyrics

All the kids want to sniff some glue
All the kids want somethin' to do

Manager Danny Fields responded in NME "Why should the song be banned? War films aren't banned on the grounds that they advocate violence."

Dee Dee Ramones said the song was written as a joke. "Shit! It's a good thing we split from those assholes 200 years ago. I hope they don't really think we sniff glue. I quit when I was eight."

On August 26, The Ramones visited Disneyland. Said Johnny Ramone in his autobiography Commando:

I always liked that place, loved riding Space Mountain. I like fast rollercoasters. I don't know that I cared about going with the band, but I did have a good time. I like those parks. I've been to Disneyland three times and to Disney World twenty times. At Disney World, I like to ride I like to ride Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain.

1 comment:

  1. The stimulant of choice in Coatbridge is now Buckfast Tonic Wine
    Great quote from Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete