Monday, June 8, 2020

Joan Armatrading's anthem for introverts is one of the Summer of 80's big hits


Joan Armatrading : Me Myself I


On June 8, 1980 Joan Armatrading's new single "Me Myself I" b/w "When You Kisses Me" entered the UK charts at #54. It would spend 11 weeks in the charts, peaking at UK#21, which would help propel the album of the same name to UK#5, the highest position of her career.

Produced by Richard Gottehrer, who also helmed debut albums by Blondie, The Go Gos and Marshall Crenshaw, Me Myself I has a punchy sound missing from earlier Armatrading albums. She's accompanied by the studio musicians who would make up David Letterman's band, including Paul Shaffer, Will Lee and Anton Fig. Some critics thought Armatrading's special traits got buried in the mix. It is the intimacy that comes across on record that fans most appreciate. Still, the album sold well, even in the United States where it peaked at #28 on the Billboard Hot 200. 



"I'm very comfortable being on my own," she said. "I think quite a lot of people have a problem with being on their own, and I think it's quite a healthy thing to enjoy being by yourself. That's really what I was saying: sometimes being on your own is quite an empowering thing.

There are people who seem to need the company of others to feel like a person, but that's not the case with me. I think it's quite important to be self-aware and self-confident and to appreciate yourself - that's quite important. One of things I like about that song is that a lot of people say to me that it's helped them get to a stage that's a good place to be."




No comments:

Post a Comment