Tuesday, May 29, 2018

My Secrets To Reveal


Walter Egan : Magnet and Steel


In the week if May 29, Walter Egan's teen make-out ballad "Magnet and Steel" entered the Billboard Hot 100 at #87. The song, about his feeling for Stevie Nicks, would peak at US #8 thanks to backing vocals from both Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. Previously, Egan had written "Hearts Of Fire", which was recorded by Gram Parsons and released on Grievous Angel.  

Here's Egan's story about how the song came about:

"In 1976 I was living in Pomona, California and I had a notion to write a song with the 'stroll' beat (made famous by Chuck Willis) and so began the rough outline of what was tentatively called 'Don't Turn Away Now.' Now, this was also at the time of putting together my first album, Fundamental Roll, and my two new friends and producers, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks and I were starting the recording process. 

 On the night when Stevie did the background vocals for my song 'Tunnel o' Love,' my nascent amorous feelings toward her came into a sharper focus - I was smitten by the kitten, as they say. It was on my drive home at 3 AM from Van Nuys to Pomona that I happened to be behind a metal flake blue Continental with ground effects and a diamond window in back. I was inspired by the car's license plate: 'Not Shy.' ( The name of his sophomore album).

 By the time I pulled into my driveway I had formulated the lyrics and come up with the magnet metaphor. From there the song was finished in 15 minutes. 

 It was especially satisfying to have Stevie sing on 'Magnet,' since it was about her (and me)."



1 comment:

  1. Awwww. That's sweet! Great pic of you both! He kinda looks like Benjamin Orr in the pic wth stevie when they were young.

    ReplyDelete