The band that had debuted a year earlier in sailor suits scored a #2 UK hit in early 1976 with "A Glass of Champagne" which was recorded using leader Georg Kajanus' invention, the Nickelodeon, comprised of "back to back Kemble pianos rigged up with a series of synthesisers and glockenspiels". The artsy song drew comparisons to Roxy Music but these Sailors failed to cross the Atlantic and chart stateside.
The power of British DJ and tastemaker John Peel is exhibited in the #2 song on this chart. He championed on his Radio 1 evening show. "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine" sold a quarter of a million copies in the UK!
1. Queen : Bohemian Rhapsody2. Laurel and Hardy : The Trail of the Lonesome Pine ft Chilly Wills
3. Greg Lake : I Believe in Father Christmas
4. Sailor : A Glass of Champagne
5. Chubby Checker : Let's Twist Again/The Twist
6. Andy Fairweather-Low : Wide Eyed and Legless
7. 10cc: Art for Art's Sake
8. David Bowie : Golden Years
9. Dana : It's Gonna Be a Cold, Cold Christmas
10. The Drifters : Can I Take You Home Little Girl
|Sailor celebrating their gold record|