Thursday, September 3, 2020

Telekon finds Gary Numan ready to try something new


Gary Numan : This Wreckage


On September 5, 1980 Gary Numan released his second solo album , the UK#1 hit Telekon. Anticipation for the album was matched only by the upcoming tour. Two shows at Hammersmith Odeon had already sold out so a third date had to be added. It was all getting to be a bit much for Numan, who has Aspergers and was not accustomed to getting so much attention.

"I hate being stared at like I'm some kind of freak," he told Trouser Press. "I never liked having to deal with I didn't want to, even little things like having to talk to the electricians when they come to read the meter. What success is good for is that maybe I can hire people to do that for me! I had a job once delivering parcels. You have to talk to people; I lasted about two weeks."


While The Pleasure Principle had elements of science fiction, here Numan sings about more personal experiences like fan adulation in "Remind Me To Smile":

"Reconsider 'fame'/I need new reasons/This is detention/It's not fun at all...Keep your revivals/Keep your conventions/Keep all your fantasies/That's all we are"




Numan refers to himself as a wreckage, the aircrash bureau and the final silence on Telekon. It doesn't sound like he's having much fun. He had mostly failed to win over the English press. He'd also seen "We Are Glass" and "I Die:You Die" fail to chart in the United States despite the success of "Cars". 

At 22, he was ready to try to something else.

"I've got a very big fear of being a has-been," he tells Trouser Press." I'm getting out  of it before I get too involved to get out of it. I have to avoid facing not being famous anymore. Besides, having said I'm going to stop, I'm obliged to stick by it. I's lose too much face otherwise."

1 comment:

  1. He didn't mention anything about Aspergers until he met that Gemma
    His is self Diagnosed
    Mine was diagnosed by medical professionals

    ReplyDelete