Saturday, September 19, 2020

"When I Dream" Raises Expectations for The Teardrop Explodes


The Teardrop Explodes : When I Dream


In September of 1980 The Teardrop Explodes released the UK#47 single "When I Dream" b/w a dreamy "Kilimanjaro", which would be left off the original pressing of the upcoming debut album by that name. In fact, "When I Dream" is a remixed version of the Kilimanjaro track. This track added to the massive expectations for the album .


Julian Cope would tell Trouser Press he gave up the bass to concentrate on vocals.

"I really want to be a great singer. I want more than anything to be a technically good singer. There are three singers I think count more than anything. (Jim) Morrison, Scott Walker and Tim Buckley. People like Dylan have some kind of primeval power about them, but I do love voices. I love singing.



Smash Hits' Mark Ellen's could have only been written by an Englishman :

Brilliant. Further upstream from their once sombre, sparser sounds, Liverpool's Teardrop devise a richly textured tuneful keyboard ballad (that's the word!) that's bursting its sides with lightness, depth and ingenuity. The 'B' side is a curious gothic chant faced with ghost synths and native drums --a mystical cruise to "Kilimanjaro"--it's the most essential swop for a quid note this fortnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment