Monday, July 20, 2020

WIth "I Got You" Split Enz score their biggest hit


Split Enz : I Got You


In July of 1980 the New Zealand band Split Enz earned Single of the Week from Sounds which writes "Another fantastic love song, 'I Got You' only teases you with its lackluster title, while in reality its wall-to-wall teeming production and Force Ten hook-line ends shivers down your back". A UK 12 hit, it would only peak at #88 in the US. Written by 21-year old Neil Finn and produced by 19-year old David Tickle, the lead-off track from the upcoming True Colours is one of the most infectious songs of the new wave era.

I can remember feeling especially lucky to record the song off the radio one afternoon at school.

In America, Split Enz were considered an overnight sensation but "I Got You" is the band's 13th single and True Colours their 5th studio album. An eclectic art rock band that took the stage dressed as bizarro clowns in the mid 70's, the band had worn out their welcome in the UK a year earlier, heading home without a record contract.



With time on their hands, Neil and Tim Finn concentrated on writing song. Neil remembered the moment with BBC2's Johnny Walker:


"Tim and I were having sessions where he'd throw me a title and I'd throw him a title and we'd go off to our respective rooms and write a song. And he gave me the title 'I Got You,' and I went in and I wrote it, and I thought the verse was pretty good but I thought the chorus was only a bit average and I should change it at some point, but in fact it was never changed and it became... it just goes to show I don't know a hit when I hear one really."


  Split Enz would record together until they broke up in 1984. Neil Finn would founded Crowded House with Split Enz drummer Paul Hester and bassist Nick Seymour.

No comments:

Post a Comment