Saturday, May 1, 2021

Squeeze's "Is That Love" is the first single from upcoming East Side Story



Squeeze : Is That Love

On May 1 1981 Squeeze released the UK#35 hit "Is That Love", the first single from their critically acclaimed forthcoming album East Side Story. Chris Difford, who has written his fair share of songs situated in bathrooms, says this one was about his newlywed wife: "This was written around the time I got married. I remember being in the bathroom and seeing Cindy's wedding ring next to the soap, which inspired me to write the lyric. I don't think it was particularly about our marriage, but it started off a sequence of ideas in my head." Difford and Glenn Tilbrook would get a lot of Lennon and McCartney comparisons this year and Tilbrook admits that on this song he was very much influenced by The Beatles.




Other Squeeze songs situated in a bathroom:

If I Didn't Love You ( "Watching you play in the bath")
Tempted ("I said to my reflection let's get out of this place")
Up The Junction ("So I had a bath on Sunday")
Vanity Fair ("Paints her nails on the bathroom scales")


The B-side, "Trust", is a strange Adam and the Ants soundalike.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment