Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Dead and Dank and Rotten


Monochrome Set : Eine Symphonie Des Grauens


In April of 1979,  Monochrome Set released the single "Eine Symphonie Des Grauens", which translates into "The Symphony of Horrors", the subtitle of F.W. Murnau's 1922 vampire film Nosferatu. It is sung from the point of view of a vampire in love or at least blood lust.

I'm dead and dank and rotten 
My arms are wrapped in cotton 
My corpse loves you, let's marry 



As a track on the 1982 Cherry Red compilation Pillows and Prayers, the song got a lot of play on my college radio station. Without a lyric sheet handy, I doubt anyone figured out the subject matter of the song. We just liked the vibe.


The Monochrome Set are still playing. Last month they played several North American dates in support of a new album and box set. They closed their shows with their love song of the living dead.


No comments:

Post a Comment