Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Tentacle In Hand


John Cooper Clarke : I Married A Monster From Outer Space


Even before I was famous, I’d always been recognized. People thought I was someone.-John Cooper Clarke

In February of 1979 the Manchester punk poet with the Keith Richards shock of hair,  John Cooper Clarke, released a new single, "Gimmix" b/w "I Married A Monster From Outer Space", on a limited edition orange triangular shaped record. "Monster" comes from Disguise in Love, an album recorded with some help from Be Bop Deluxe's Bill Nelson and Pete Shelley. His trademark rapid fire poetry came, in part, from his use of pep pills.



Unfortunately he would spend much of the 80's addicted to heroin, living in a Brixton flat with Nico. It's not something he ever likes to talk about. In a response to a Guardian readers asking him how to quit heroin, Cooper said:

It can be done, clearly, but it ain’t easy. I like to say I did it in two ways: gradually, and suddenly. The fact is you need help, though. My message is always the same: don’t even do it once. I think it is dangerous to think it is anything to do with having an “addictive personality” or any of that bollocks. Anyone would dig it. Anybody. Why? Because it is fabulous the first time. Don’t ever do it. And, gadus, good luck with your attempts to rid yourself of this terrible affliction. I pray that you are successful.





No comments:

Post a Comment